In short order, posting of older shows from November and December. Because of other commitments (read: end of the term, graduate school applications, visiting family for the holidays, and my recent birthday) there were a number of shows that I missed. Sorry about that! sigtronica will be back this Wednesday at its normal time, 9-10PM EST.
October 25th Show
- Low Tide by isis + aereogramme. In the Fishtank 14. Konkurrent.
- The Dawn Curtain by Flying Canyon. Flying Canyon. Soft Abuse.
- Brest by Holiday For Strings. Holiday For Strings. Still.
- Fall of Cherry Blossom in Long Shadows of Twilight by Boduf Songs. Lion Devours the Sun. kranky.
- Track 6 by Mr. Geoffrey & JD Franzke. Get A Room. Extreme.
- Untitled (IV) by Greater Than One. Kill the Pedagogue. Brainwashed.
- Sleeping with Extraevil by Andrea Belli. Between Neck & Stomach. Häpna.
- Easy on the bones by Svarte Greiner. Knive. Type.
- cithara two by Alan Sondheim. ski/nn. fire museum records.
- Anuncios Perfumados by Phelan Sheppard. Harps Old Master. Leaf.
Standard Podcast [60:01m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
October 18th Show
- Dreams—Finale & Epilogue by George Antheil. Piano Concerto No. 2, Serenade No. 2, Dreams. New World Records.
- Rainbow Blood + Stags, Aircraft, Kings And Secretaries + Palimpsest I by Tim Hecker. Harmony in Ultraviolet. kranky.
- terres fortes by Paul Wirkus. déformation professionnelle. staubgold.
- Briefly Seen by Xela. The Dead Sea. Type.
- My feet, over there by Svarte Greiner. Knive. Type.
- Uma by Taiga. 00100. Thrill Jockey.
- Collapsing Cat by Phelan Sheppard. Harps Old Master. Leaf.
- brother la by Jessica Bailiff. Feels Like Home. kranky.
- lord of the flies by Boduf Songs. lion devours the sun. kranky.
- why she swallows bullets and stones by esmerine. aurora. madrona.
October 11th Show
- twelve events by GHQ. Heavy Elements. Three Lobed.
- Leper War by Wolf Eyes. Human Animal. Sub Pop.
- The boat was my friend by Svarte Greiner. Knive. Type.
- Exercise 10 by Christian Wolff. 10 Exercises. New World Records.
- universal goodwill by Chamellows. Rat hearts. Fonal Records.
- Gila by Unwed Sailor. The While Ox. Burnt Toast Vinyl.
- l’éclat du ciel était insoutenable + lime kiln by Hrsta. l’éclat du ciel était insoutenable. Fancy.
- that angel was pretty lame by boduf songs. lion devours the sun. kranky.
- palimend + coup de foudre + hirondelle by benoît pioulard. précis. kranky.
- Weaving Song by Phelan Sheppard. Harps Old Master. Leaf.
October 4th Show
- First Construction in Metal by John Cage. Warp Works and Twentieth Century Masters. Warp.
- Medium Size Mograph by Gordon Mumma. David Tudor and Gordon Mumma performed by Gordon Mumma and David Tudor. New World Records.
- Study no. 7 arr Yvar Mikhashoff by Conlon Nancarrow. Warp Works and Twentieth Century Masters. Warp.
- Farewell to the Flyer by Polmo Polpo. Innature. RB.
- UNITE!! by Lullabye Arkestra. Ampgrave. constellation.
- Moving Intercepted by Christina Carter. Electrice. kranky.
- needle & thread + r coloring by benoît pioulard. précis. kranky.
- Dungeoneering + Palimpsest II + Spring Heeled Jack Flies Tonight by Tim Hecker. Harmony in Ultraviolet. kranky.
sigtronica moving to Wednesdays
The fall is not the time for decay and endings, but rather the time for new beginnings and reaffirmations. Or perhaps I believe this simple because I’m still in graduate school, where the transition to September means the beginning of another cycle of the academic year.
Philosophizing aside, sigtronica will be moving as a result of the new WMBR season. Beginning next week, I will now broadcast Wednesday nights from 2100-2200 EDT (GMT – 4). Expect the same non-sameness of new and old experimental and electronic music.
September 25th Show
More from the Women Take Back the Noise compilation tonight, featuring work from Analog Tara, Christina N, and Kadet. Also some really interesting minimal improv work from both the duo of Baczkowski Padmanabha and as well as Silo.
(On the broadcast I forgot to mention the track from peeesseye; sorry!)
- The Light by The Album Leaf. Into the Blue Again. Sub Pop.
- suashi by Chris Herbert. Mezzotint. Kranky.
- valore energetico by Paul Wirkus. déformation professionnelle. staubgold.
- Magnus Harmonica by Analog Tara. Women Take Back the Noise—Scheherazade. Ubuibi.
- let’s play like violins do by Burning Star Core. Less Self Is More Self. Ecstatic Peace.
- (Description of) An Empty Airport by Christina N. Women Take Back the Noise—Scheherazade. Ubuibi.
- ballad of fine decay by peeesseye. commuting between the surface and the underworld. evolving ear.
- Throat by Baczkowski Padmanabha. Tongue Rust and Lead Moth. Utech Records.
- Osc/Sec by Kadet. Women Take Back the Noise—Orgonauta. Ubuibi.
- Track 6 by Silo. Silo. Utech Records.
Standard Podcast [61:01m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
September 18th Show
I featured tonight three tracks from the incredible new Women Take Back the Noise 3CD compilation. Calling it just a “compilation”, however, does injustice to the innovative packaging which features, among other things, an individual circuit-bent instrument, and playing cards about each artist. I’ve oft-decried the seeming lack of women noise and experimental music artists; this compilation just shows how wrong I was, and I hope it’s successful in bringing the work of these women to a broader audience.
- scope / lifetime by vert. nine types of ambiguity. sonig.
- untitled by Jessica Rylan. women take back the noise: vociferous. Ubuibi.
- Linseed by Xela. The Dead Sea. Type.
- Skullsplitter by Eric Chenaux. Dull Lights. constellation.
- pressing by Jessica Bailiff. Feels Like Home. Kranky.
- The Finder Needs My Attention by Hooray! For Old Timers. women take back the noise: vociferous. Ubuibi.
- Amasijar by Farmacia. Crucial Sky in the Land of Premonitions at Lorenzo’s Weekend. Psych-o-path.
- Anulla Mantide Innamorata by ioioi. women take back the noise: vociferous. Ubuibi.
September 18th Show [46:43m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
September 11th Show
A shortened and moved show this week, due to a class I have on Monday nights. An amalgam of electronic and avant-folk pieces.
- Rounds by Ryan Teague. Coins & Crosses. Type.
- Cello for Sudden Goodbyes by Arden. Conceal. Still.
- Humid at Dusk by Xela. The Dead Sea. Type.
- Tuscan by Ecstatic Sunshine. Freckle Wars. Carpark Records.
- we were once by Jessica Bailiff. Feels Like Home. Kranky.
- Prelude by Rhys Chatham. An Angel Moves Too Fast to See (Disc Three). Table of the Elements.
- Track 2 by Geoff Mullen. The Air in Pieces. Last Visible Dog.
- chlorophyll by Chris Herbert. mezzotint. Kranky.
September 11th Show [43:53m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
Just to let all of the listeners know, I’ll be switching with sans serif for the next couple weeks, in addition to having a somewhat shorter show (40 minutes or so). I have a class that conflicts with my usual time, and that takes me a bit to get to, hence the switching and shorter length.
Physicality and the inability to be in more than one place at once raises its beautiful head…
So: sigtronica, for at least the next couple weeks, will be at 6PM instead of 7PM, and will be only around 40 minutes in length.
Sorry for any inconvenience!